Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A Niecey Weekend

I haven't had much to report lately. I'm in a weaving slump; I finished the towels, and am waiting for the gamp from Halcyon. I'm not all that excited about turning any of the yarn I have into something else, so what's a girl to do? Order more yarn, of course. So I did. I should have a big box of fiberiffic love show up at my house in the next week or so, then I'll be in weaving heaven.

Way back in November I posted a list of knitting goals. I started number 5 this weekend, and since it is quite a small project, I am about 1/3 done. I still can't go into it, but suffice to say that it is very cute. Or it will be, right now it is a square.

My nieces, Imani (10) and Cierra (3), spent Saturday night with us. Cierra, especially, wanted to see the cats. The cats were not very cooperative and, except for occasionally streaking through the living room, stayed hidden. The fish, however, were quite willing to prance around.

I taught Imani how to knit. I had tried to teach her about 3 years ago, but it didn't really work -- we were traveling to my sister's (her aunt Sarah's) wedding and a moving vehicle isn't conducive to effective teaching or learning. Also, I think she is a lot more patient now and more willing to plug away at it, even though she isn't very good at it (which will take experience more than anything). She is in a sewing club at school, I suspect that's given her a lot more confidence in her abilities. I showed her how to purl, but she had a very hard time getting it, so I told her to just concentrate on the knitting and we'd work on purling another time. She'll get it eventually, she wasn't really frustrated, but every time I looked over at her, she was tangled up in knots. She'd start laughing and say, "it's haaarrrd!" She never once said that she couldn't do it, just that it was hard. Which it is.

On our way back to Ann Arbor on Sunday, Cierra was very excited about the horses and cows, she kept shouting, "Oh! Awesome!" Heh.

No comments: