Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A Mousing Adventure

We have mice. Rarely do we have evidence of their presence, but occasionally they get brave (stupid) enough to show themselves.

The first time, I came home to find the back half of a mouse on our sun porch. We had high hopes of the cats' mousing futures.

The second time, a mouse ran across our living room while I was folding laundry. Eventually it ended up in our bedroom. Gwen was vigilent, but never got the rodent. For all I know, it's still hiding under my dresser.

The third time, a mouse showed in the guise of a toy for Simon. We were watching "Deadwood" and it looked like a character was going to be tortured and killed. I couldn't face it happening in reality in my living room, so I made Len try to catch it and send it outside. Obviously, that didn't work. For all I know, it's still hiding in our couch.

Last night, after I went to bed, Len told me Simon had another one. I kept my mouth shut. The next time he checked, Judy had the mouse. I told Len that he was going to have to get up before me to clean up any mouse guts. We were a little nervous about being presented with a dead mouse while in bed.

Not to worry. Apparently our cats are not going to live up to our high hopes, there was no evidence of a dead mouse (I shook out my boots this morning just in case). Maybe we should get traps.

No comments: