I was planning on posting pictures today of knitting (I do still knit), a new dress (will the obsession ever end?) and possibly some weaving (gasp!). But a plan is not a post, so instead I have a Movie Trivia Game (stolen from Miriam Felton's blog and the Caffeinated Librarian). 15 of my favorite movies in quotes (via IMDB), what are the movies (leave your answers in the comments)? If you cheat, you are the only one who will (but you will know and can you live with that?)
1. Good evening Sir, my name is Steve. I come from a rough area. I used to be addicted to crack but now I am off it and trying to stay clean. That is why I am selling magazine subscriptions.
Office Space, Keith M. For some reason, I know the name of the actor, Orlando Jones. I don't know why. Steve is, indeed, an out-of-work software developer. However, they start pumping him for information because they think, as a "former crackhead", he might know dealers who would know about laundering money. As it turns out, Steve wouldn't know a rock of crack (or whatever) if it hit him upside the head.
2. Mickey: Think her family's gonna be okay that you're a white guy?
Cliff: They think any woman over 30 who isn't married is a lesbian. She figures, they'll be so relieved that I'm a man...
Mickey: Yeah, it's always heartwarming to see a prejudice defeated by a deeper prejudice.
3. When you're in love with a married man you shouldn't wear mascara.
4. We musn't underestimate American blundering. I was with them when they blundered into Berlin in 1918.
Casablanca, Keith M. (This usually sits at the #1 or #2 spots in my list of favorite movies)
5. I thought all writers drank to excess and beat their wives. You know one time I secretly wanted to be a writer.
Hint: "Sometimes, for your own sake, Red, I think you should've stuck to me longer." "I thought it was for life, but the nice judge gave me a full pardon." "Aaah, that's the old redhead. No bitterness, no recrimination, just a good swift left to the jaw."
Philadelphia Story (really? No one got this one? What a great, funny, funny movie, and lot's of drunken behavior!)
6. Are you sure you were talking about water skis? From where I sat it looked as though you were conjugating some irregular verbs.
Hint: Why do you think we moved so often? Your father was a swindler, dear, but a lovable one. If you ask me, this one's a bigger operator on every level.
7. I can remember everything. That's my curse, young man. It's the greatest curse that's ever been inflicted on the human race: memory.
Citizen Kane, Keith M. (very good! Spoken by Jedediah Leland, as many of the really good quotes in this movie are)
8. Anything happens to my daughter, I got a .45 and a shovel, I doubt anybody would miss you.
9. The last time that I trusted a dame was in Paris in 1940. She said she was going out to get a bottle of wine. Two hours later, the Germans marched into France.
2 Hints: "How do I look so young? Quite simple. A complete vegetable diet, twelve hours sleep a night, and *lots* and *lots* of makeup." and "If you ask me, anybody that offers a million bucks to solve a crime that ain't been committed yet has lost a lot more upstairs than his hair."
Murder by Death (I first saw this was I was 10 or 11, and thought it was hilarious, even if I didn't get what it was satirizing. I thought the last quote would give it away for sure, since that's the plot.)
10. I don't think I've ever drunk champagne before breakfast before. With breakfast on several occasions, but never before, before.
11. We're not in infinity; we're in the suburbs.
Hint: "Have you ever transcended space and time?" "Yes. No. Uh, time, not space... No, I don't know what you're talking about."
I (Heart) Huckabees, MichMash (How could you not love a movie that takes existential philosophy as it's theme. Such a weird, funny, intelligent movie. By the way, is anyone else still surprised at Marky Mark's acting chops?)
12. I've hired you to help me start a war. It's a prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition.
Princess Bride, Keith M. (I skipped many many classes to stay home and watch this one, and it never gets old)
13. I don't like warriors. Too narrow-minded, no subtlety. And worse, they fight for hopeless causes. Honor? Huh! Honor's killed millions of people, it hasn't saved a single one.Hint: "Mul-ti-pass"
Fifth Element, Lacy (one of those movies that shouldn't work, but does, in all its campy wonder. Milla is gorgeous, Bruce is Bruce, and Oldman chews so much scenery I'm surprised he has any teeth left.)
14. The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules.
15. Doctor, I'm takin' your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears.I'm going home now, so check back tomorrow for answers..