Friday, September 07, 2007

Why Swatch?

I rarely make a gauge swatch for a baby sweater. Babies change so much and so quickly, getting a correct size is a pretty dicey proposition. Especially is the baby in question hasn't been born yet. I figure if I have suitable yarn and needles, and I'm somewhere in the gauge ballpark, the sweater will fit the kid someday (but hopefully not in the dead of summer!)

Some friends of ours are having a baby in December and I want to knit something interesting for them (I'm pretty the baby won't care much). I've been wanting to knit a Dale of Norway sweater, so this seems as good an excuse as any. I settled on the cover sweater in Baby 175, and bought yarn -- light green (9013), lavender (5303) and blue (5726), to be specific. I knew I wanted the green for the background, but wasn't sure otherwise. So, a swatch:

Swatch

As it turns out, I don't like either of the options. The colors are fine together, but the lavender doesn't pop as much as I'd like. So, I've ordered the bright purple (5135) and will do this again. I think I will use the lavender for the trim -- I want to make the little pants and won't have enough yarn unless I use the lavender.

So there you are. That's why swatch.

And is it just me, or does this strike anyone else as "1974 Vega Tennis Ball Green"? I can't seem to get away from it.

No comments: