Friday, April 06, 2007

As Promised

The socks I started are the Cable Rib Socks from IK's Favorite Socks (also a recent-ish issue of Knits, but I don't remember which one. They are in green Louet Gems Pearl. I had originally bought the yarn to make a different pair, but lovely as it is, it turned out to be utterly wrong. Ah well.

The sweater. The sweater is my own version of the Equinox Yoke Pullover from the Fall 2006 Interweave Knits (one quibble: it is described as a "not-so-classic take on a traditional Fair Isle sweater". I fail to see how there is anything traditional about this sweater in construction or color pattern. It has stranded knitting, and if anything, takes it's cues from Bohus knitting. Anyway.) I am making some major changes. I'm combining some of the colors, e.g. all of the reds and oranges will be a single red. The original pattern has the body and sleeves knit flat up to the yoke, then it gets joined up and knit circularly. Why not do the whole thing circularly? So I am.

But wait! There's more! When I started thinking about making this, I thought it was too bad it wasn't a cardigan, since I probably wouldn't wear a pullover. But because of the shape of the neckline, and having somewhat limited imagination, I couldn't see it as a cardigan. But then the next issue, Winter 2006, had a pattern for the Enid Cardigan (which really is described as Bohus-inspired), which has a very similar neckline to the Equinox. Now I can picture it. And since I have already decided to knit this in the round, that means steeking. Yep. Taking scissors to the knitting. What the hell.

But then yesterday late afternoon, I was asked to donate something to a silent auction. This is for a fund which helps staff with educational expenses. The University I work for is fairly crummy about staff education, so I'm all for this fund. Which means that all of the above is about to be put on hold while I whip out something by May 1. I'm going to make a small shawl out of this yarn.

(I just want you all to know about my mad multi-tasking skills -- I've been doing my job the whole time I've been writing this. That explains the bad grammar!)

No comments: