Monday, April 02, 2007

A Knitted Cuff

I had promised myself I wouldn't start anything new until my sister's bathmat is done. 'Cos long stretches of garter stitch, knitted with string at a slightly too-tight gauge? That's my idea of a good time! But then I ran out of yarn, on a Friday. With no access to more yarn until Monday. What's a knitter to do?

As luck would have it, before making the above promise, I had casted on the cuff for the MS Cardigan (it is possible that I casted on just before making the promise). I decided to start with a sleeve for several reasons, most of which had to do with the inevitable ripping out which I was sure would be necessary. I was switching out some colors, and rather than knit another swatch, I thought the sleeve at this point would be a nice stand in. As it turns out, I did hate one of the colors and it has been ripped out and reknit (the other color makes it's first appearance in a later chart, so far I'm ok with it). Starting with a sleeve also gives me a chance to check and double-check my math and then measure it against reality. Always a good thing for the mathematically challenged among us.

Cuff

The lightest colors should have a greenish hue, and the black is actually very dark purple. I am through the first chart (which you can just see at the bottom of the picture). I love this knitting. I love the colors, the yarn, the charts, I love that it is kind of hard and looks even harder. I do not love, however, doing this on double-points and will be grateful when I have enough stitches to switch to a 16" circular.

In the meantime, I procured more yarn for the bath mat and finished it, I do keep some promises.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you had to buy more yarn--you should have told me! I can definitely send you a check to cover the cost, plus postage out here--just let me know how much! Thanks again, sis :)