Thursday, December 18, 2008

Late Train - Part 3

11. Coma Girl -- Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros (Streetcore)
I like this album better than Global A Go-Go, it is a little more punk (not much, though) and less World Music. This song is particularly sweet, very catchy with a bit of an edge.


12. Shave Yo' Legs -- Keb' Mo' (Keep It Simple)
His voice is as smooth as silk. The title is a little unfortunate, the sentiment of the song is along the lines of "you don't have to make yourself beautiful, you are beautiful just the way you are, shaved legs, or not". Something everyone wants to hear occasionally.


13. Downtown Train -- Tom Waits (Raindogs)
Rod Stewart covered this in 1989. I remember it fondly, but it is a great song and, whatever I might think of his terrible music choices, he has an amazing set of pipes. Tom Waits, however, is something else altogether. Once I got used to his voice, a mixture of cigarettes and cheap whiskey, I can't help but find it beautiful (the way a Diane Arbus photo is disturbing but beautiful).


14. Evangeline -- Matthew Sweet (Girlfriend)
Before Georgie James was power pop, Matthew Sweet was. This album was stuck in my player for weeks in the early '90s (and I even got it autographed, back when there was a place for musicians to do that). This is a great song for driving around singing at the top of your lungs. I can't link to a video as I am writing this from home, in my pajamas, and we are still in the land of dial-up. I can't help but suspect You Tube would completely gum up my computer.

1 comment:

Devon Reed said...

If you want to hear a hidden Matthew Sweet gem, check out "Wild" on The Bigtop soundtrack.