Friday, December 12, 2008

Late Train - Part 2

6. Kiko and the Lavender Moon -- Los Lobos (Kiko)
Los Lobos is an unclassifiable band -- rock, folk, Tex-Mex -- Wikipedia describes Kiko as "creative and wildly experimental". I myself think the album is a classic, the songs work individually and as a complete whole. This song is hot, slinky and very sexy. Click through to the video and you will see what was meant by creative and wildly experimental:


7. You Really Got a Hold on Me -- She & Him (Volume One)
This is a lovely cover of the Smokey Robinson classic.


8. More Adventurous -- Rilo Kiley (More Adventurous)
This is one of those songs that I don't know what to say about. It is big, full of fear and hope: "I've been trying to nod my head, but it's like I've got a broken neck
Wanting to say I will as my last testament
For me to be saved and you to be brave
We don't have to walk down that aisle
'Cause if marriage ain't enough
Well at least we'll be loved"


9. Cake Parade -- Georgie James (Places)


10. Hooky Junk -- The Gourds (Heavy Ornamentals)
Another NPR find, and it was the story behind this song that did it for me: the writer's very young kid kept wanting to hear some of that "Hooky junk", which he finally figured out was Tom Waits (that kid has some very mature taste in music). No video, but you can hear the song here.

No comments: