Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Knit On, Knit Off

I thought of a very clever title on my way to work this morning, but alas, it is lost in the fog and freezing rain.

I (finally!) finished the baby pants on Thursday night, or more specifically, Friday morning at 12:20 (which made 6:30 Friday morning interesting and rather confusing). I brought them into work with me with the intention of subjecting them to a photo session, but ended up buried in work. Nor did I, I'm sorry to say, have time on Saturday and by that night they were gone, taken to await the arrival of the baby recipient. I did take a quick picture to prove their doneness, so we shall have to make do with that one.

Pants!

The picture is a bit of a yawner, but I find the pants quite adorable. I also couldn't be more pleased that they are done.

I immediately casted on the Tilted Duster from the Fall 2007 issue of IK, using the green RYC Soft Tweed. Since I doubt I have enough yarn, I'm thinking that I will do the collar in the mauve. No pictures, it is just a blob at this point, but since I'm using big needles, it is an instant gratification blob.

Last night I started playing around with...I don't know how else to describe it but knitting architecture. I got Lynne Barr's Knitting New Scarves a few weeks ago. I cannot express how exciting this book is, but here is a peek at the contents. She is truly thinking in three dimensions.

Knitting Architecture

This is the beginning of Drifting Pleats. This isn't the yarn I'm planning to use, but I thought it would be useful to play around with the pattern a bit before using the real yarn. Isn't that the coolest thing ever?

Simon is Interested

Simon thinks so.

Red Yarn 2

This is the yarn I'm planning to use. Unfortunately I was too addled to remember to bring a tag with me, so I'm not sure what it is, except an alpaca/silk blend. When I went shopping for yarn, I had 3 factors in mind, and a fourth was adopted fairly quickly: color, drape, gauge and yardage was quickly added. I couldn't find anything that fit all of the criteria -- yardage was added because I did find a couple a balls that would have fit the first three, but there weren't enough. I went with this yarn because I love the blood red, and the drape will be perfect; I figured I could deal with the gauge problem. After last night, I know I will be able to add a pleat and all will be well.

Gluten Development

Simon isn't really interested in the knitting, he just wants to knead the yarn.

1 comment:

Stef said...

I think that Blogger has limited the ability of non-Blogger bloggers to comment on Blogger blogs. In my opinion, this is a real shame because it's always fun to check out blogs of people who comment...and...now you're going to be limited. Of course, you already know who I am so it won't matter. ;-)

I *love* both of the projects you're starting!! I think I may have to purchase that scarf book. I'm always up for 3-d effects in knitting & weaving, even if it means that I'll have to start another knitting project.

The tilted duster is fabulous!