Thursday, March 08, 2007

Knitting News

Len's hat is finished:

Len's Hat

Len's Head2

Luckily, I wrote down the decreases: the first time Len tried on the hat, it was too short. I tried to convince him otherwise, but he wasn't going for it. Len's head is 22" around and this hat fits him pretty tightly, and is meant to have two folds and it sits just above his ears. Here are the particulars:

Yarn: Fortissima 100 Socka, one 100 gm. ball should be enough for 2 hats.
Needles: Size 2, 16" circular and/or double points
Cast on 168 stitches. Join and knit in K3, P3 rib for 7.5 inches. I started the stripe at 3", but it would have worked better had I started at 3.5". The decreases were worked as follows:

Round 1: *Knit 10 in pattern, p2tog
Round 2: *K3, P3, K3, P2
Round 3: *K3, P1, P2tog, K3, P2
Round 4: *K3, P2
Round 5: *K3, P2, K3, P2tog
Round 6: *K3, P2, K3, P1
Round 7: *K3, P2tog, K3, P1
Round 8: *K3, P1, K3, P1
Round 9: *K3, P1, K2, P2tog
Round 10: *K2, P2tog, K2, P1
Round 11: *K2, P1, K1, P2tog
Round 12: *K1, P2tog, K1, P1
Round 13: *K1, P1, K2tog
Round 14: *K2tog, K1
Round 15: *K2tog
Round 16: *K2tog
repeat from *
Thread stitches through remaining stitches and pull tight. Weave in all ends.

And there you are. A little beanie.
The really stupid thing is that I can't remember my own phone number, but I could remember these decreases. When I knit the blue version of this, I had to futz around a lot with the decreases and it still ended up a little pointy at the top, so this time I stopped the non-decrease rounds as soon as the original purl stitches were eaten up (at round 9). The crown is a bit too gathered looking for me when it is off of Len's head, but fits him well enough.

**********
Comment: Thanks for you comment, Valerie. The long the skein hangs in my bathroom the happier with it I am. I think there is some sort of Psych 101 process going on there. I think the yarn will be for weaving -- probably a weft in a twill variation. That's what it's saying to me right now, anyway!

No comments: