Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Bad Parenting

I don't have children and I try very hard not to judge people's parenting styles (and certainly not publicly). I'm pretty sure, though, the following falls squarely in the category of Bad Parenting:

If a non-custodial parent, who lives in another state, promises his 11 year-old daughter (who happens to be my darling niece) a plane ticket so she can come visit him on a particular weekend, he damn well better follow through. If for some reason he can't follow through, it is up to him to CALL her and tell her and NOT ignore her messages. He then must do everything in his power to find another weekend for her visit and send the damn ticket. If this child has pretty low self esteem as it is, he needs to be especially sensitive in his dealings with her.

For all of his other faults, I've always thought he was a good father. Now I'm not so sure.

No comments: