Friday, December 02, 2005

More books

I had said yesterday that I would post about what I am reading now, and so early in this blogging thing, I should try to keep my promises!

So right now I am reading two books: Jarhead by Anthony Swofford and A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. I'm not far enough into either of them to render very much of an opinion.

However, since I am an opinionated gal, I'll say a couple of things. First, I always like a good war memoir, and so far I am liking Jarhead, for the most part -- sometimes the way he uses language rings a little tinny. I like the way it is constructed, in very short, sharp chapters. I could use this as an opportunity to bash the current war, but I won't. At least not right now.

Second, I'm only through the introduction to Short History, but Bill Bryson is always worth reading. And it seems to be about evolution. So that's controversial! (Hi Cindy! That was for you!)

I'm going away now. Maybe some knitting content on Monday? Hopefully, if I make progress...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard an interview with Swofford that made his book sound really interesting; lemme know if it is. I've heard mixed reviews on the movie, but most of the bad ones seem to be folks who expected an action flick and not a this-is-the-life account.