Tuesday, August 15, 2006

More with the Kool-Aid


You would think dyeing with kool-aid with an 11 year old and a 4 year old would elicit cries of "I want to drink it!", followed by red and orange children. But no, my sister apparently raised her children to believe that kool-aid is repulsive (good for her!) and, aside from black fingers and red and orange knees, they remained dye-free. I didn't really need to bother with smocks for them -- I'm smart enough to remember the smocks, but not gloves.

I got a big hank of that New Zealand Wool Pak (10 ply if you're counting) and divided into four roughly equal hanks. That turned out to be a really good decision, since we had too many colors to use in one shot (we were just grabbing them off the shelf at Meijer), and they had two canvasses to play with. They used pink lemonade, Magic Cherry (which is teal), tropical punch, something blue, grape, lemon lime, and Mandarina Tangerina. They did not use the Black Cherry after I said I thought it looked like blood (Cierra, the 4 year old responded that she does not drink blood. Thanks for clearing that up. 'Cos I wondered).
Here is a close(r) up of Cierra's yarn. Her first one is on the right and is half orange and half pink and blue. The second one, left, started out with a lot of colors, then she covered it in grape. Go figure. I actually really like how that one turned out.
Here are Imani's. Her first one is on the left. She was very glad to have another chance, since she doesn't like it that much (she tried to make it colorful, but the orange sort of took over and made everything muddy). The second one is much more to her liking, and I can't wait to see it knitted up. I think for the muddy one, we'll cook up a very strong batch of orange and try to brighten it up.

No comments: