Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's a Dress!

Vogue 2902

A crummy picture of a dress, but a dress nonetheless. This is Vogue 2902, it started out as view A, but ended up view B (with the contrasting hem band) because I, um, yeah. I cut it too short. The dress would have been knee length, which might have been ok but the proportion just seemed out of whack. Since the dress is completely lined (which is good since the fabric is cotton lawn), adding the contrast band was a simple matter of trimming the lining piece I had cut off and sewing it onto the outside skirt. As if cutting the skirt wasn't enough of a screw up, I also managed to put the zipper in the wrong side. Oh well.

Bodice

I was supposed to hand stitch that band to the dress. I am much too lazy for that! Besides, I kind of like the look of the topstitching. I also had to shorten the straps by about an inch and a half. I think this will be fine, but had I made a muslin first I would have avoided cutting the skirt too short (though I do like the contrast hem), I could have fixed the straps more elegantly, and I probably would have managed to get the zipper on the correct side.

Stacking Up

I've started cutting for a new quilt. That is all for now.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Your dress is lovely!

Sharon said...

Honestly, you make me want to sew. I started when I was 10 in 4H and always loved it, but just haven't done it in a while and now, don't have garment needs. I wonder if that's how quilters get started...

Mary said...

What a great dress! I love the additions you made and the hem. Good work.