Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Wool Scarf Heresy

When I got to work today it was 8 degrees (and now it has gone down a degree, so now it is freakin' *7* degrees). It was just as cold yesterday, so I decided to pull out my wool scarf.

Here's the thing. I've been avoiding getting this scarf out, not because it's ugly, it isn't -- it's really quite beautiful (if I do say so myself). I made it out of a Berroco wool/rayon (and if I were a better blogger, I'd go research exactly what yarn it is, but I'm not going to do that now), in this really deep, dark steel gray. It's a very long, cabled scarf (my yarn shop had a sample of a Berroco-designed cabled scarf, and while I liked their scarf very much, I just can't pay $10 or more for a pattern when I can pick my own cables, thank you very much), and I knitted this thing for years (I hate knitting scarves, remember?) I love this scarf. I really do.

But....here's the heresy: it itches. Yes, I said it. It *itches*! In Fiber Snot-head World those are fighting words. Well, arguing words, because I *did not* say I am allergic. I don't get welts, I don't swell up, in fact, I can wear wool next to my skin below my waist without a problem. But sweaters, scarves, and hats? *Itchy*!

Now, hats have the additonal "hat-head" problem, so I don't tend to wear them anyway (except in the most dire circumstances), and sweaters can (and generally should) be worn with a layer underneath (although, I do have a sweater that itches even with a layer under it, but I suspect the wool isn't great). But, usually this means turtlenecks. I hate turtlenecks. And scarves have to be worn next to the neck, or they just don't keep the cold out. So they itch, and I suffer.

Truly this is a sorrowful state of affairs. Because I love wool, I want to wear it easily, I don't want to avoid my scarf. But there you are. I'm a heretic. Wool itches.

No comments: